Multiple Sclerosis Acupuncture: Sue has had Multiple Sclerosis for a number of years. She had acupuncture to help manage her MS, to aid her general well-being and to feel more relaxed during this stressful time.
Patient: Sue Pontefract.
Acupuncturist: Iain Lettice.
Multiple Sclerosis Acupuncture
Let me start with a few facts about Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
In 2012 The Multiple Sclerosis Society Stated
- 100,000 people in the UK have multiple sclerosis
- It is an autoimmune disorder of the central nervous system
- Over time, disability tends to increase progressively but with periods of remission
- 10–15% of patients worsen progressively without remission
- Some sufferers have no significant disability for many years
- The underlying pathogenic mechanisms involves inflammation and axon degeneration
The Physical Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Include Problems With:
- Stiffness and/or spasms
- Bowel function
- Cognitive function
More can be found here on the MS Society website.
Conventional Treatment Includes:
- Disease-modifying drugs such as
- interferon beta (-1b and -1a)
- Dietary modification.
Multiple Sclerosis Acupuncture Can Complement Conventional Treatment
Research has shown that multiple sclerosis acupuncture may specifically help to relieve symptoms of multiple sclerosis by:
- Improving paralytic symptoms by reducing numbers of inflammatory and CD4 T cells
- Supporting neuronal survival by promoting the expression of the protein NT-3 which ultimately
- causes remyelination and functional improvement of the demyelinated spinal cord
- Acting on areas of the brain known to:
- reduce sensitivity to pain and stress
- promote relaxation
- deactivate the ‘analytical’ brain responsible for anxiety and worry
- Improving muscle stiffness and joint mobility by increasing local microcirculation
- which aids dispersal of swelling
- Reducing inflammation by altering immune functions
Sue’s Testimonial For Iain Lettice
Excellent – helps enormously with my MS symptoms – feel “chillaxed” after my session at Iain’s Pagoda Acupuncture Clinic -would recommend anybody to try – 10/10 – Sue Pontefract
If you have MS, or would like to help somebody that does. Here is the UK’s Multiple Sclerosis Society home page.
You can find out more about Iain Lettice here and read testimonials people have given here. If you’re happy and don’t need to read any more, then book an appointment with Iain. Contact details are at the top of the page and here.