Acupuncture Fertility Diet
There are some basic principles of healthy eating for TCM. These are relevant to anybody. The Acupuncture Fertility Diet starts with these principles and then adds in steps specific to fertility.
Cooked vs Raw Foods
TCM believes that cooked foods should form the bulk of our diet. This is because:
- Cooking pre-digests the food outside the body to make it more easily digestible on the inside.
- Raw foods are considered to be Cold in nature. Cold foods need more ‘Qi’ energy to transform them. This means the net Qi energy profit for the body is less for cold foods than warm foods.
Cold Foods & Liquids
Basic Dos And Do Less Ofs
Based on the previous sections, there are some simple do’s and do less of’s.
- Eat soups and stews as they are predigested and the right temperature for the body.
- Eat cooked and warm foods in general
- Eat moderately and chew well to make the digestion process easier for the body
And Some Do Less Ofs
Cut down on:
- Chilled \ Cold foods
OK. That’s the basics covered – lets move on to fertility specific steps.
Acupuncture Fertility Diet
The following covers points specific to the Acupuncture Fertility Diet.
- Eat 3 warm and balanced meals a day – this affects the quality and quantity of what you’re giving your body to work with
- Don’t miss meals for the same reason
- Cut right back on caffeine in all forms – more than 300mg / day reduces your fertility by 27%
- Replace caffeine drinks with water, herb teas, Red Bush tea
- Reduce alcohol pre pregnancy
- Stop drinking alcohol once pregnancy suspected
- Cut down on dairy and greasy foods. Both these hinder the body’s ability to digest and transform food.
- Ensure you get 5 a day of fruit/vegetables
- Reduce animal products and fats. Research has shown that fertility is decreased if protein intake from animals is more than 20% of your diet.
Supplements \ Herbs
Research has shown the following increase the body’s fertility level.
- 400 micrograms of Folic Acid daily
- 1000mg of Calcium daily
- The following act as anti-inflammatories and hormonal regulators: Flax oil, Evening primrose oil, Black currant oil
- Western Herbal Medicine recommends the following phytoestrogen and phytoprogesterone herbs to balance hormones – Blue Cohosh, False Unicorn Root, Dandelion
- Antioxidants: Zinc, Vitamins A, E and C
Directly Damaging To Fertility
- Consuming artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame
- Too much\ little body fat unbalances hormones that control fertility
- Don’t over exercise aerobically as this depletes the body
- Do exercise gently by doing yoga, pilates and gentle swimming
You can find out more about Iain Lettice here and read testimonials people have given here. If you’re happy and don’t need to read any more, then book an appointment with Iain. Contact details are at the top of the page and here.